Serena Williams‘ illustrious career and strong personality always inspire tennis fashion designers and for the sport’s most prestigious tournament in London the American 23-time Grand Slam champion will wear a knit-textured dress embellished with a sewn Swoosh brooch made with Swarovski crystals.
Nike remains candid about Serena’s dress design, but we do know the story behind the Swarovski-studded detail nicknamed “the Broosh” — it features 34 crystals which represent the age at which Serena won her most recent Wimbledon in 2016.
Abby Swancutt, Global Design Director for NikeCourt, was inspired by decorative jewelry from past generations:
I also wanted her to feel like it was something her grandmother could have worn, but of course give it a modern spin and make it just right for Serena.
Even though this is Nike’s first Swarovski crystal Swoosh, the world’s most famous crystals are not a new glamorous detail in women’s tennis fashion — the freshest in my memory are Nike-sponsored Maria Sharapova’s black and light pink lace dresses designed by Riccardo Tisci for the 2017 US Open.
New white shoe that bears Serena’s logo is this Nike Flare 2 model (available at both Tennis Warehouse USA and Tennis Warehouse Europe). As Nike describes, the kicks combine speed and style with lightweight cushioning and a supportive lacing system. The shoes offer a sock-like feel, their rubber outsole is extra durable and the breathable mesh has a silky, shiny finish.
MORE WIMBLEDON 2019 FASHION:
- Stella McCartney’ eco-friendly Adidas apparel for Angelique Kerber, Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki
- Maria Sharapova‘s Nike Fall Maria London Seamless Dress
- Madison Keys shows knitwear-inspired NikeCourt whites
- Elina Svitolina presents her NikeCourt separates
- Julia Goerges‘ Asics Gel-Cool whites for London
- Ashleigh Barty & Timea Babos to wear the Fila Match Play collection, Kiki Bertens & Sofia Kenin pick the Lawn collection
- New Balance hits new fashion heights with Sorana Cirstea‘s Wimbledon dress
- Lotto‘s simple white racerback dress for London
- Karolina Pliskova to wear third capsule of Fila‘s special-edition P.L. Rolando collection