Petra Kvitova defeated Anett Kontaveit 6-3 7-6(2) in the final of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, becoming the first WTA player to win two titles in 2019.
Earlier on Sunday, Mona Barthel and Anna-Lena Friedsam overcame Lucie Safarova and Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 2-6 6-3 10-6 in the doubles final. What’s stunning is that Barthel and Friedsam have never played together before this week’s tournament in Stuttgart, while Safarova went all the way to the final in what was probably her penultimate event on tour. The Czech is scheduled to play doubles alongside Barbora Stefkova at the J&T Banka Prague Open next week and could very well end her career afterwards.
Note that it was Pavlyuchenkova with whom Safarova won her first doubles title in Charleston in 2012, so today’s trophy ceremony in Stuttgart was very emotional for both players.
MORE PORSCHE TENNIS GRAND PRIX 2019 PHOTOS:
- Saturday: Kvitova, Kontaveit move into the final
- Friday: Kvitova, Osaka, Bertens, Kontaveit reach semifinals
- Thursday: Quarterfinal field completes on Thursday
- Wednesday: First round completes, Kvitova reaches quarterfinals
- Tuesday: First day of main-draw action
- Monday: Players’ Party