Maria Sharapova‘s 2018 was below par when it comes to her tennis success — if we exclude her Meldonium-ban 2016, this is the Russian’s first season since 2002 without a WTA title. When it comes to Nike fashion, though, the five-time Grand Slam champion never disappoints, so let’s see how she looked on court during eleven tournaments she played in 2018.
Masha opened the season at the Shenzhen Open, wearing a chevron-perforated tank and skort from the 2017 Asian Swing. From afar it looks like a basic tank and skirt, but the outfit is all about texture, which is only seen at a closer look.
Moreover, we can see that there is a zipper at the racerback.
At the BNP Paribas Open, Masha introduced the crimson bliss version of the Australian Open dress.
MARIA SHARAPOVA’S NIKE FASHION THROUGH THE YEARS:
- 2017: Elegance & haute couture: Maria Sharapova sets new standards with tennis dresses
- 2016: Masha’s Nike fashion in the season cut short by Meldonium doping case
- 2015: Overview of Masha’s season with Nike
- 2014: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike clothes in pictures
- 2013: Masha’s simple, sporty and subtle styles
- 2012: Nike dresses Sharapova wore in her stellar Career Slam and Olympic silver season
- 2011: All the dresses of tennis fashion queen Maria Sharapova
- 2010: The Queen of Tennis Fashion and her Nike designs
- 2009: Masha and Nike throughout the year
- 2008: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike outfits for this season
- 2007: On-court looks of Maria Sharapova in Nike
In Stuttgart, Madrid and Rome, Sharapova rocked an orange slim racerback tank and black skirt with perforated side panels.
As you can see, the racerback is also perforated in order to maximize ventilation.
Nike was all about textured blue apparel at Roland Garros.
Sharapova’s Nike Summer Maria Dress featured thin criss-crossed straps at back, mesh sections and scalloped hemline. You can have a closer look at the dress in my preview.
Reflecting the Russian’s status of an extraordinary champion are her personalized tennis shoes.
The Nike Fall Maria London Dress for Wimbledon was a very innovative design, because pleats were included both in the skirt and in the racerback. You can see this better in my Wimbledon outfit unveiling post and my photos from the Rogers Cup in Montreal, where Masha wore a light silver version of the same dress.
As you can see, the dress looks ordinary in the front, while the back does all the talking.
The US Open night matches are Maria’s favorite and although her 22-0 record under the lights in NYC was snapped by Carla Suarez Navarro this year, Maria looked stunning in a dress with peculiar cutouts at back and atypical choice of colorblocking where the left side is not mirrored to the right.
A light version of this Nike Fall Maria NY Dress also exists and you can see it in my unveiling of the Russian’s look for the season’s final Grand Slam — it’s in wolf grey with orange peel and guava ice.
How would you rate Masha’s 2018 fashion on a scale from 1 to 10? What’s your favorite dress? Mine is the orange Indian Wells version of the Nike Spring Maria Dress. My second favorite is the pleated Wimbledon design.
MORE 2018 FASHION RETROSPECTIONS:
- Serena Williams‘ Nike fashion: fishnet tights, catsuit, tutu dress
- Laser cuts, colorblocks and form-fitting silhouettes: All Caroline Wozniacki‘s Adidas by Stella McCartney looks
- Simona Halep‘s first year with Nike
- Venus Williams’ 2018 EleVen print stints
- Naomi Osaka’s style: Energetic curls accessorize Adidas’ fine fashion
- Classic, pastel, starry, lacy: All Karolina Pliskova’s Fila outfits this year
- Agnieszka Radwanska‘s Lotto fashion in the last year of her career
- Sporty and feminine: Julia Goerges‘ Asics tennis style in 2018