The first day of the second US Open week wrapped up the quarterfinals and our Jimmie48 covered all the singles matches, plus some doubles action.
Carla Suarez Navarro celebrated her 30th birthday with one of the biggest wins of her career, beating Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-3 in their fourth-round encounter. The Spaniard will next face American Madison Keys, who lost just four games against Domminika Cibulkova in their fourth-round clash.
In a match-up of 20-year-olds, Naomi Osaka edged Aryna Sabalenka 6-3 2-6 6-4 to become the first Japanese woman to reach the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam in 14 years. Osaka’s quarterfinal opponent will be Lesia Tsurenko, who squeezed past Marketa Vondrousova 6-7(3) 7-5 6-2, despite being extremely troubled by the heat, at least that’s what she says, as Vondrousova believes her opponent was overreacting and pretending.
MORE US OPEN 2018 PHOTOS:
- Sunday, September 2nd: Serena, Stephens, Pliskova, Sevastova advance to quarterfinals
- Saturday, September 1st: In-form Sabalenka storms into fourth round
- Friday, August 31st: Serena beats Venus, Sloane into final 16
- Thursday, August 30th: Wozniacki & Kasatkina out, Sharapova moves into third round
- Wednesday, August 29th: Top half second-round matches — Venus, Serena, Stephens, Azarenka, Svitolina victorious
- Tuesday, August 28th: Wozniacki, Keys, Kerber, Kvitova, Sharapova advance to second round on scorching hot day
- Monday, August 27th: Main-draw play kicks off with Stephens & the Williams sisters wins, No.1 Halep upset
- Sunday, August 26th: Cibulkova, Sharapova, Keys, Kvitova practice
- Saturday, August 25th: Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day with Kerber, Keys, Williams
- Friday, August 24th: Final round of WTA qualifying + Media Day
- Wednesday, August 22nd: First round of qualifying completes + Sharapova, Svitolina focus on practice
- Tuesday, August 21st: First round of qualifying + Kerber, Wozniacki, Keys practice sessions