Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova continues to shine during her Birmingham title defense — the fourth-seeded Czech beat fifth seed Julia Goerges 6-1 6-4, continuing to advance without dropping a set this week and improving to 5-0 in quarterfinal matches this season. Kvitova’s opponent in the final eight will be Mihaela Buzarnescu, the Romanian who upset second seed Elina Svitolina 6-3 6-2, three weeks after also beating the Ukrainian at Roland Garros.
Barbora Strycova, the conqueror of top seed Garbine Muguruza in the previous round, made the semifinals when Lesia Tsurenko retired with a painful left hip midway through the second set, and the Czech will next face Magdalena Rybarikova, who swept past qualifier Dalila Jakupovic 6-2 6-4.
This is our Jimmie48‘s final gallery from the Nature Valley Classic in Birmingham. Now he’s off to Eastbourne!
MORE WTA PHOTOS FROM BIRMINGHAM:
- Thursday: Strycova, Tsurenko, Goerges, Kvitova complete quarterfinal field
- Wednesday: Rybarikova, Jakupovic, Svitolina, Buzarnescu reach quarterfinals
- Tuesday: Muguruza, Kvitova, Svitolina successfully start grasscourt season
- Monday: Qualifying completes, first round kicks off
- Saturday & Sunday: Kvitova, Svitolina, Muguruza arrive, Bouchard progresses in qualifying