Petra Kvitova’s comeback continues to pick up steam at the 2017 Aegon Classic. The two-time Wimbledon champion made the semifinals, playing only her second tournament after a long break due to the injuries suffered in December’s knife attack.
Kvitova sealed her first appearance in a WTA semifinal since Wuhan 2016 with a straight-set win over France’s Kristina Mladenovic, advancing into the round of the last four without having dropped a set on the Birmingham lawn so far.
The Czech is joined in the semis by Garbine Muguruza, as the Spaniard punched her ticket into the penultimate round with a win over Coco Vandeweghe. After taking the first set, Vandeweghe slipped and rolled her ankle early into the second, being forced to retire afterwards.
The semifinal lineup in Birmingham is completed by Lucie Safarova, who won a dramatic three-set outing against Daria Gavrilova, and Australia’s Ashleigh Barty, who advanced after Camila Giorgi was forced to retire late in the first set.
MORE PHOTOS FROM THE 2017 AEGON CLASSIC:
- Thursday: Konta & Svitolina make early exits
- Wednesday: Petra Kvitova continues successful comeback
- Tuesday: Kvitova, Safarova successfully kick off their campaigns in Birmingham
- Monday: Mixed results for British players
- Sunday: Draw ceremony, Kerber’s withdrawal and qualifying action
- Saturday: WTA qualifying + Petra Kvitova’s practice session