The 2017 Mutua Madrid Open lost its top seed on Wednesday as Germany’s Angelique Kerber retired late into her match against Canada’s Eugenie Bouchard.
Facing a 0-5 deficit in the second set, Kerber was forced to retire from the match, continuing what have been woefull weeks for the German that is poised to again take over the #1 ranking on Monday. After the match, the injury was diagnosed as hamstring muscular issue and Kerber is now in doubt for next week’s Rome tournament, opting to focus on the French Open instead.
With Bouchard through to her first major semifinal in a long while, Simona Halep joined her after an impressive performance against Samantha Stosur. The Romanian #3 seed remains the highest ranked player still in the draw.
Keep checking back to Women’s Tennis Blog for more from the 2017 Mutua Madrid Open as we’re quickly heading towards the exciting conclusion of the event.
MORE PHOTOS FROM MADRID:
- Tuesday: Halep surives, Cibulkova crashes out
- Monday: Bouchard shocks Sharapova
- Sunday: Sharapova sets up Bouchard clash
- Saturday: Bouchard & Pliskova move on, Keys crashes out
- Friday: Qualifying, main-draw ceremony, All Access Hour
- Thursday: Tie Break Tens exhibition featuring Sharapova, Halep, Keys, Kuznetsova, Radwanska, Puig