Angelique Kerber won the 2016 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart, completing her first-ever title defense.
Playing Stuttgart native and surprise finalist Laura Siegemund in what was the first ever all-German Stuttgart final, Kerber remained victorious in straight sets, not only winning a trophy, but also a brand new 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S sports car.
Continuing in the spectacular fashion that saw her go all the way from qualifying to the final, Siegemund rallied to an early 4-2 lead in the first set, when having played two more matches than her opponent started taking its toll on the 28-year-old.
The more the match wore on, the more out of steam Siegemund was. Kerber managed to turn around the first set and close out a comfortable second set as Siegemund simply had no more energy to raise her level for a third set.
WOMEN’S TENNIS BLOG WAS AT THE TOURNAMENT ALL THE WAY FROM QUALIFYING, SO MAKE SURE TO CHECK OUR OUR PHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS DAYS:
- Saturday‘s semifinals: Kerber vs. Kvitova, Radwanska vs. Siegemund
- Friday: Stuttgart quarterfinals
- Thursday: Dramatic completion of second-round action
- Wednesday: Kerber survives first-match scare
- Tuesday: Kvitova & Ivanovic start in style
- Monday: Glamorous players’ night at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix
- Sunday: Continuation of qualifying + off-court fun
- Saturday: Qualifying, players’ practices + main draw ceremony