The first two quarterfinals of the 2016 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells are in the books with Serena Williams and Agnieszka Radwanska recording victories on Wednesday.
The quarters turned out to be less competitive than many experts had expected. Radwanska managed to get past Petra Kvitova in straight sets, as the Czech Wimbledon champion visibly ran out of steam after playing no less than three three-set battles this week. The win will take Radwanska to #2 ranking for the second time in her career.
During the evening session, Serena Williams got one step closer to winning the BNP Paribas Open for the third time as the American beat 2015 Indian Wells champion Simona Halep in an impressive fashion, continuing what has been a pretty much flawless run in the desert so far.
The 2016 BNP Paribas Open quarterfinals will complete on Thursday. Young Russian rising star Daria Kasatkina will face off with Karolina Pliskova, followed by 2012 Indian Wells champion Victoria Azarenka’s match against Magdalena Rybarikova.
OUR PHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS DAYS:
- Tuesday: The making of the quarterfinals
- Monday: Third-round wraps up in Indian Wells
- Sunday: Williams, Kvitova and Radwanska move on
- Saturday: Kerber makes early exit
- Friday: Venus Williams’ return
- Thursday: Ivanovic, Williams, Petkovic, Kerber, Bouchard, Goerges, Robson, Kvitova, and others
- Wednesday: Main draw matches kick off
- Tuesday: Qualifying action