Angelique Kerber has finally managed to beat Victoria Azarenka, getting past the Belarusian former world #1 for the first time in Melbourne on Wednesday.
The seventh try finally proved to be Kerber’s time as the German managed to beat Azarenka in straight sets, booking herself a spot in the Australian Open semifinal and becoming the first German player to reach the round of the last four in Melbourne since Anke Huber in 1998.
Kerber will meet Johanna Konta in the semis, the young Briton who confirmed her place in the next round by beating China’s Zhang Shuai in straight sets, ending one of the most inspiring stories this tournament. Zhang had made it all the way into the quarters after starting in the qualifying stages and upsetting #2 seed Simona Halep along the way.
OUR PHOTOS FROM THE PREVIOUS DAYS AT THE 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN:
- Tuesday, January 26th: Serena makes it 19 against Sharapova
- Monday, January 25th: Azarenka & Zhang move on
- Sunday, January 24th: Sharapova & Serena set up quarterfinal clash
- Saturday, January 23rd: Muguruza & Ivanovic drop out
- Friday, January 22nd: Sharapova & Serena enter the fourth round
- Thursday, January 21th: Siegemund & Zhang continue miracle runs + photos of many WTA stars
- Wednesday, January 20th: Sharapova & Serena move on, Kvitova out
- Tuesday, January 19th: First round wraps up, Simona Halep and Venus Williams crash out
- Monday, January 18th: Main draw play kicks off, Day 1
- Saturday, January 16th: Final stage of qualifying + Kids Day + Williams and Sharapova press conferences
- Friday, January 15th: Draw ceremony, player practices and qualifying action
- Thursday, January 14th: Women’s qualifying action kicks off
- Wednesday, January 13th: Stars practice in scorching temperatures
- Tuesday, January 12th: Melbourne warming up for the big event, player practices