Serena Williams has added another win to her already-impressive head-to-head record against Maria Sharapova, clinching her 19th win over the popular Russian in Melbourne on Tuesday.
Even though Sharapova managed to start off their 21st meeting with a break and had a breakpoint at 4-4 in the first set, Williams managed to keep the upper hand in the late stages of the first set, cruising to a straight-set win that was never in doubt during the second set.
In the day’s other quarterfinal, Agnieszka Radwanska swept by Spain’s Carla Suarez Navarro. After a very quick first set in favor of the crafty Polish player, Suarez Navarro managed to make it a bit more difficult for Radwanska in the second set, never getting to a point where she could actually turn the match around though.
The remaining two quarterfinals of the 2016 Australian Open are due to be played tomorrow as the surprise quarter-finalists Johanna Konta & Shuai Zhang meet while Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber will face off for a rematch of the Brisbane final.
OUR PHOTOS FROM THE PREVIOUS DAYS AT THE 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN:
- Monday, January 25th: Azarenka & Zhang move on
- Sunday, January 24th: Sharapova & Serena set up quarterfinal clash
- Saturday, January 23rd: Muguruza & Ivanovic drop out
- Friday, January 22nd: Sharapova & Serena enter the fourth round
- Thursday, January 21th: Siegemund & Zhang continue miracle runs + photos of many WTA stars
- Wednesday, January 20th: Sharapova & Serena move on, Kvitova out
- Tuesday, January 19th: First round wraps up, Simona Halep and Venus Williams crash out
- Monday, January 18th: Main draw play kicks off, Day 1
- Saturday, January 16th: Final stage of qualifying + Kids Day + Williams and Sharapova press conferences
- Friday, January 15th: Draw ceremony, player practices and qualifying action
- Thursday, January 14th: Women’s qualifying action kicks off
- Wednesday, January 13th: Stars practice in scorching temperatures
- Tuesday, January 12th: Melbourne warming up for the big event, player practices