Maria Sharapova is changing her style for the 2016 Australian Open. Last year the Russian’s tops were dominated by thin racerbacks or spaghetti straps, while this season her first dress of the year features very athletic mesh racerback design, with contrast bonded zipper for easy on and off.
The world number five Sharapova has absolutely departed from her glamorous past and is embracing classic sporty designs. I am welcoming the change, absolutely! It is a refreshment! Still, I miss the super elegant Maria, with Tiffany earrings and sparkly dresses suitable for no other venue than Grand Slam arenas.
The skirt of this new Australian Open dress, officially called the NikeCourt Maria Premier, has inverted pleats, while besides strategically located perforated panels, the item ensures breathability with Dri-FIT fabric which takes sweat away from the skin.
Do you like Maria’s transition to purely sporty cuts?
CHECK OUT WHAT OTHER WTA STARS WILL SPORT AT THE 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN:
- Jelena Jankovic, Yaroslava Shvedova: Fila print echoes flying tennis balls
- Victoria Azarenka: Green and white Nike tank + shorts combo
- Eugenie Bouchard: Ombre stripes for visual appeal, Nike Dri-Fit mesh for comfort
- Serena Williams: Nike introduces crop tops, yellow from head to toe
- Venus Williams: EleVen finds inspiration in brushstrokes
- Simona Halep: Adidas‘ red and blue separates, the word “tennis” spelled out in the print
- Caroline Wozniacki: Orange and sand colorblocks in the Adidas Spring Stella McCartney Tour Dress
- Ana Ivanovic, Kristina Mladenovic: Red Adidas printed dress ready for Melbourne
- Monica Puig, Sloane Stephens: Ellesse & Under Armour tennis styles for the Australian Open