Following her first-round loss against Angelique Kerber on Monday, the pressure to keep her 2015 WTA Finals campaign alive was mounting on Petra Kvitova in Singapore on Wednesday.
Playing fellow Czech Lucie Safarova, a straight-set loss would have sent the two-time Wimbledon champion packing for the Fed Cup final, but Kvitova responded to the pressure in proper fashion, getting past Safarova in straight sets.
The victory does not only extend Kvitova’s head-to-head comparison against her countrywoman to an impressive 8-0, but also gives Kvitova a fairly decent chance to make the semifinals in Singapore, even though things aren’t completely in her hands anymore.
Garbine Muguruza’s straight-set win over Angelique Kerber in the evening session has opened plenty of possibilities for the White Group to pan out, with the Spaniard having the best possible chances of all players to make it out of the group stage.
Both Kvitova & Kerber need to rely on certain results in their opponents’ matches to advance, in some cases it might even come down to the percentages of games won during the matches this week.
Sounds confusing? The WTA has released a nifty chart that explains the various scenarios.
Before we get to the conclusion of the White Group, it will be time for the final Red Group matches on Thursday, as Maria Sharapova will play Flavia Pennetta while Agnieszka Radwanska faces off with Simona Halep.
As always, Women’s Tennis Blog will be there, bringing you all the action straight from Singapore!
In the meantime, check out our photo galleries from previous days:
- Tuesday: Flavia Pennetta vs. Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Sharapova vs. Simona Halep
- Monday: Photos from Kerber vs. Kvitova and Muguruza vs. Safarova + WTA legends
- Sunday: Photos from Simona Halep vs. Flavia Pennetta, Maria Sharapova vs. Agnieszka Radwanska, and more
- Saturday: WTA stars meet the press in Singapore
- Friday: Glamorous WTA Finals draw ceremony + player practices + WTA Rising Stars Invitational