World number five Caroline Wozniacki overcame Simona Halep to reach the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix final, where she’ll have to defeat home favorite Angelique Kerber if she is to park the 911 sports car in her garage, that had slipped through the fingers of three-time Stuttgart champion Maria Sharapova at the 2015 edition of the tournament.
The first to make the final this Saturday was Wozniacki, who sneaked away with a break of serve after 11 straight holds to take the first set 7-5, and after failing to close things out in the second set, despite being just two points away from victory, the Dane finished the job in the third set with the final score 7-5 5-7 6-2. As a contrast, the second semifinal was quite straightforward, with the 14th-ranked Kerber beating Madison Brengle 6-3 6-1.
Kerber won five of her last seven meetings against Wozniacki, including a 6-1 6-2 drubbing in Stuttgart three years ago.
While awaiting the final, check out our photographer Jimmie48‘s galleries from the action leading up to the semis:
- Final four closes out in Stuttgart on Friday
- Thursday at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix, Kerber stuns Sharapova
- Mixed luck for Germans in Stuttgart on Wednesday
- Tuesday upset: Garcia beats Ivanovic
- Porsche Tennis Grand Prix kicks off on Monday
- Qualifying continues in Stuttgart on Sunday
- Saturday tennis: qualifying gets underway in Stuttgart