While our photographer Jimmie48 is on site at the Brisbane International and we’re awaiting his trophy ceremony pics and the report from the exciting final between Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic, the ASB Classic in Auckland got its 2015 champion as Venus Williams defeated Caroline Wozniacki 2-6 6-3 6-3. Despite the loss, Caro stayed in good spirits and treated us with this lovely photo of 12 years ago that reminds us of Venus’ maturity and experience on tour.
En route to the Auckland final, Williams had raced through the draw without dropping a set in victories over Jana Cepelova 6-1 6-0, Kurumi Nara 6-4 6-1, Elena Vesnina 6-2 6-4 and Lauren Davis 6-0 6-3, but facing “little” Caroline was definitely a challenge and even a learning experience:
Caroline and I were training next to each other in Florida recently and I saw how hard she works. She’d do half an hour of fitness work before she even started training and I thought `I should be doing that’…but I didn’t. I knew it would be a tough match.
And here’s their today’s photo from the Auckland final.
BTW, this week in Auckland Venus debuted the Ola collection from her EleVen clothing brand, but it’s yet to be available in stores. Woz was wearing her well-known Adidas by Stella McCartney Barricade NY Dress.
More childhood photos of Venus and Caroline:
- Woz’ career beginnings in photos
- Baby Serena Williams in diapers, with her big sis Venus
- Caroline Wozniacki as a two-year-old racer
- One photo of little Caro
- Interview with 13-year-old Caroline Wozniacki wearing braces
- Venus Williams “Started at the Bottom”
- Photo of little Venus Williams on tennis court
- Early photos of Serena and Venus Williams
- Serena as young pit bull, Venus as natural champion