The 2015 Brisbane International will come to a highly-exciting conclusion on Saturday, as tournament top seeds Maria Sharapova & Ana Ivanovic will fight for the first big trophy of the new WTA season.
If the recent history between both players is anything to go by, spectators in the Pat Rafter Arena will be in for a memorable final. Sharapova’s & Ivanovic’s most recent matches have always been exciting — their semifinal clash in Cincinnati last summer proved to be one of the most dramatic & controversial matches of the 2014 WTA season.
Photos by: Jimmie48
Maria Sharapova has had a stellar run in Brisbane this week, losing no more than a combined eight games on her way into the first final of 2015. After breezing past Yaroslava Shvedova & Carla Suarez Navarro earlier in the week, the final hurdle to Sharapova’s first final of the new season was Elina Svitolina.
The young Ukranian was steamrolled by Sharapova in the first set, as the Russian closed it 6-1. With her back against the wall in the second set, Svitolina started to swing more freely and was able to trouble Sharapova in a lengthy game at 5-3 that went to deuce several times. Ultimately, Sharapova’s cracking form prevailed and the Russian racked up yet another win that was never truly in danger.
Ivanovic’s run in Queensland this week was slightly more rocky. The Serbian had to concede a set in her quarterfinal match against Kaia Kanepi yesterday, coming somewhat close to getting upset early into the season.
Friday’s semifinal against American Varvara Lepchenko almost turned into a similar story, as Lepchenko had her chances on closing out the first set. Ivanovic managed to force a tiebreak that went comprehensively in the favor of the former world #1, setting the fan favorite up for a solid second set that lead to a 7-6 6-4, sealing Ivanovic’s first final of the new season.
Aside from the much-discussed singles clash, Saturday will also have a very interesting doubles final in store, as recently reunited doubles partners Sabine Lisicki & Martina Hingis will face France’s Caroline Garcia & Katarina Srebotnik.
Women’s Tennis Blog will be there to capture all the action for you as the 2015 Brisbane International champion will be crowned! Waiting for the dream final between the WTA’s star players, let’s amuse ourselves with the photo galleries from the past days:
- Top seeds head into Brisbane semifinals – Ivanovic’s hawk-eye prayer and more
- Wednesday gallery: Masha with koala, Vika practices, Ivanovic wins and more
- Sharapova takes Brisbane by storm + Lisicki/Hingis doubles photos, Kerber, Tomljanovic, Gavrilova and more
- Heavy showers and upsets rock Brisbane on Monday
- Main draw gets underway + entertainment for the kids (photos of Victoria Azarenka, Madison Keys, Ajla Tomljanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Andrea Petkovic, Ana Ivanovic, Sam Stosur and others)
- Top players prepare in Brisbane – Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Angelique Kerber and others
- Busy Friday at Brisbane International – qualifying action
- 15 minutes with Maria Sharapova in Brisbane + Sam Stosur and Carla Suarez Navarro