I love this photo! It puts in perspective how many generations we have playing shoulder-to-shoulder at the WTA Tour. If you would see Venus Williams and Caroline Wozniacki today facing each other on the tennis court you would perceive them as equal rivals and forget that Woz was maybe just out of her diapers when Venus turned pro. In this photo Woz was 12 years old and Venus was 22. It could well be that Venus was already No.1 player at the time this photo was taken (she became No.1 in February 2002), while she sure already was a Grand Slam champion. Did little Wozniacki assume at the time that she would also climb to the No.1 spot in the rankings?!
The two have faced each other four times in their careers and Venus won all the four meetings, but they all happened in 2007 and 2008, some time before Wozniacki’s peak.
For more photos of tennis players when they were kids, visit my Little Tennis Stars series, while below you can see more childhood photos of Venus and Caroline:
- Caroline Wozniacki as a two-year-old racer
- One photo of little Caro
- Interview with 13-year-old Caroline Wozniacki wearing braces
- Venus Williams “Started at the Bottom”
- Photo of little Venus Williams on tennis court
- Early photos of Serena and Venus Williams
- Serena as young pit bull, Venus as natural champion
(photo via Caroline Wozniacki’s Twitter)