When Adidas revealed the so called dark side of the “Evil Twin” series in July, they did say that the black and yellow apparel was for the US Open Series, while now it’s clear why they were always careful to emphasize the word “Series”, as for the US Open itself they were preparing a big surprise — a ‘70s style collection designed by musician Pharrell Williams, which we now know will be worn by all the brand’s top names! The inline collection to be sported by Angelique Kerber, Simona Halep, Jelena Ostapenko and other stars is in addition to the statement collection by Adidas Originals, which will be worn on court by Garbine Muguruza and which I have already introduced.
Pharrell was inspired by the fashion of tennis superstars from the ’70s, while he infused Adidas’ latest technological features to boost the performance of the iconic looks. The musician’s collection includes a range of clothing, accessories and footwear characterized by primary color-block and off-white pin stripe, as well as engineered knitwear that boasts surprising details.
Angelique Keber will wear the inline New York Color Blocked Dress, which features a warp knit mesh body fabric with color-blocked panels at the side. It’s a 3-in-1 item equipped with Climacool to help the defending champion fight the heat and keep her dry. The Pharrell NY Visor completes her look.
Matching the vintage tennis aesthetic of the collection is a new approach to tennis footwear, the Adidas Adizero Ubersonic 3 Pharrell Women’s Shoe that boasts an innovative sock style ankle support, providing stability between points during quick movements.
MORE 2017 US OPEN WTA FASHION:
- Surprise! Musician Pharrell Williams designs Garbine Muguruza’s Adidas outfit for New York
- Glamour, sexiness, style: Maria Sharapova’s Swarovski-studded Nike little black dress designed by Riccardo Tisci
- First look at new Nike gear for Maria Sharapova, Victoria Azarenka and Madison Keys
- Flamingos & palms: Agnieszka Radwanska’s pink Lotto dress
- Venus Williams‘ EleVen Epiphany collection
- Pastel colors + retro geometry: Karolina Pliskova presents new Fila Heritage collection
- Caroline Wozniacki‘s fierce red Adidas by Stella McCartney dress
- Adidas by Stella McCartney raises the bar with New York collection for the US Open
- Andrea Petkovic’s Adidas by Stella McCartney Barricade tank and skort inspired New York City’s sunset skyline
- Christina McHale shows Lacoste‘s spiced up classics ready for Flushing Meadows