Karolina Pliskova had a stellar 2016 season, which saw her crack the Top 5, and I'm glad to feature her as Fila's representative for the first time in my Fashion Retrospections. This is my final fashion overview of 2016! I hope you've enjoyed my tennis apparel stories this off-season.
Fila's Australian Open collection will be remembered for its flying-tennis-ball print, as seen here on the Spring Platinum Racerback Tank, but the collection also featured a variety of less eye-catching items that Pliskova also sported in Melbourne and subsequent tournaments.
In Indian Wells and Miami, the Czech rocked the Fila Spring Net Set Racerback Tank, unique for its contrasting vertical pin-tuck stripe at back, and the coordinating skirt with alternating aqua and grey pleats.
In Stuttgart, Pliskova went for an all-blue look, and even though it seems too plain in this pic, super cute back pleats of the Fila Spring Net Set Pleat Back Skirt make the outfit stand out in a subtle way.
In Prague, Pliskova showcased Fila's warm-up piece, this basic grey long-sleeve shirt that she wore over her Net Set Racerback Tank.
A LOOK BACK AT FILA'S PAST YEARS:
- 2015: Jelena Jankovic's Fila sporty femininity
- 2014: Fila reinvents itself, overview of Jelena Jankovic's 2014 tennis dresses
- 2012: Fila clothes for Kim Clijsters' farewell year
- 2011: Clijsters and Kuznetsova representing Fila during its 100th anniversary year
- 2010: Kim Clijsters and Fila throughout the year
Fila's Gingham collection is my 2016 favorite. Pliskova debuted it at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia and besides the Gingham dress that Irina-Camelia Begu wore at Roland Garros, I adore this Fila Spring Gingham Racerback Tank.
En route to her Nottingham title, Pliskova sported the Fila Fall Platinum Asymmetrical Tank, in both black and teal piranha.
In Birmingham, Pliskova went all the way to the doubles title, teamed up with Barbora Strycova, who had defeated her in the first round in singles.
For the occasion, Pliskova wore a simple black skirt and the Fila Spring Lawn Racerback Tank, just as later in Eastbourne.
At Wimbledon, the 24-year-old went for a classic sporty look, pairing a simple white skirt with the above-mentioned tank characteristic for its pintuck stitch design at shoulders.
In Montreal, the world No.6 Pliskova sported a coral skirt with a unique hem. I'm not sure from which collection the skirt is. Do you maybe know?
Pliskova kissed the Cincinnati champion's trophy in the Fila Heritage Racerback Tank and the Fila Heritage Skirt, which also graced the courts of the US Open. My preferred items from the collection are the ones with blurred stripes, like the Fila Heritage Stripe Dress that Jelena Jankovic and Yaroslava Shvedova beautifully accessorized with red hair ties.
At the WTA Finals, Pliskova worked the Court Couture Halter Tank, featuring contrast at the armhole, neckband, hem, and straps, and the Court Couture Skirt, including black details at waistband, hem and pocket welts.
What do you think about Pliskova's style? I already told you my favorite outfit, what's yours?
MORE 2016 WTA FASHION RETROSPECTIONS:
- All Garbine Muguruza's 2016 Adidas by Stella McCartney outfits
- Tennis fashion spotlight: Petra Kvitova's 2016 with Nike
- Maria Sharapova's Nike fashion in the 2016 season cut short by Meldonium doping case
- New tournament, new print: Venus Williams' EleVen clothes in 2016
- Ana Ivanovic's stylish 2016 with Adidas' zebra and geometric prints
- Serena Williams' 2016 Nike fashion: mind-blowing crop-tops & cute tiered pleats
- Dominika Cibulkova's perfect fits: Lacoste blue and white tennis fashion
- Angelique Kerber's rise to No.1 WTA ranking with Adidas
- Agnieszka Radwanska's year with Lotto: Dramatic mesh, ruffles, busy prints