In 2016 my photographer Jimmie48 attended 15 tennis events, including three Grand Slams, so you can imagine how many amazing WTA pics we have. Last year he made his own selection of best shots, while this time we decided that I make a Top 25 out of his 2016 archives, since he’s already in Auckland, preparing to shoot the ASB Classic. I will list the photos with numbers, but there is no particular order.
1. The season started with Angelique Kerber‘s spectacular victory over Serena Williams in the Australian Open final, the German’s first Grand Slam title, and this photo is just one of the many that captured the emotional route to the champion’s trophy.
2. When we saw this Brisbane International photo of Victoria Azarenka and her super cute fan, who would’ve thought that the Belarusian would soon get pregnant and become a mother to a baby boy by the end of the year.
3. Zhang Shuai had never before won a main-draw Grand Slam match in her professional career dating back to 2003, but at this year’s Australian Open she went all the way to the quarterfinals.
4. This epic photobomb was even voted as the “LOL of the Year” at the WTA website! It happened at Indian Wells, after Victoria Azarenka defeated Serena Williams in the final 6-4 6-4.
5. Caroline Garcia recorded some spectacular wins for France in the Fed Cup final, but later Barbora Strycova ruined her plans and the Czech Republic won.
6. The BNP Paribas Open setting is breathtaking!
7. How beautiful is this portrait of Ana Ivanovic! The photo was taken at the Roland Garros players’ party.
8. Once a ball girl at her home tournament in Charleston, Shelby Rogers progressed all the way to the quarterfinals of the 2016 French Open.
9. One of Garbine Muguruza‘s moments of joy on her way to the French Open triumph, her first Grand Slam title.
10. Caroline Garcia‘s tears after a loss in the deciding doubles rubber in the Fed Cup final.
11. How can I not include a photo of Agnieszka Radwanska‘s signature kneeling shot!
12. My favorite team spirit photo is this one of Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic taken at the WTA Finals in Singapore.
13. Monica Puig‘s power at the BNP Paribas Open. At the time, nobody expected she would soon become a gold medalist at the Olympic Games.
14. This Roland Garros practice photo of Petra Kvitova made my list because of the tube socks which the Czech doesn’t generally wear.
15. I love this action shot of Nicole Gibbs at Indian Wells and her New Balance outfit.
16. Madison Keys, debutante at the WTA Finals, failed to progress past the round-robin stage of the tournament.
17. Zebras let loose at the French Open.
18. I find Naomi Osaka very photogenic! This photo is from the Toray Pan Pacific Open where she made the finals.
19. Dominika Cibulkova couldn’t believe she won the WTA Finals! This was one of the best moments of the 2016 season.
20. We have a lot of awesome emotional pics of Yulia Putintseva. This one was taken during her run to the French Open quarterfinals.
21. Maria Sakkari also greatly enriched our collection of energy-packed action shots. This photo was taken at the Australian Open.
22. I like these ballerina shots of Serena Williams. Plus, this Australian Open outfit was bomb!
23. Youngster Catherine Bellis making her way to the US Open main draw.
24. How awesome is this Stuttgart photo of Angelique Kerber and Ana Ivanovic?
25. Barbora Strycova‘s reaction to helping her team with the Fed Cup trophy. Epic!
How do you like my Top 25? Got any photos to add?