As part of my traditional off-season Fashion Retrospections, the time has come for me to overview all Garbine Muguruza‘s 2016 Adidas by Stella McCartney tennis clothes that helped the Spaniard perform her best and win her first Grand Slam title at Roland Garros.
The season started with last year’s winter look: the bib colorblock tank, as some people called it, featuring a zipper entry at racerback, and its matching paneled skirt. This look will always remind me of Flavia Pennetta and her heartwarming US Open triumph.
At the Australian Open, Muguruza sported what I like to call sunny separates, because of the colors and the colorblock shape at the tank that resembles the sun.
The victorious look was completed by the Stella Barricade shoes.
The laser cut holes definitely marked Muguruza’s 2016 season when it comes to fashion and the Adidas Women’s Fall Stella McCartney Skirt for Wimbledon indulged in the perforated material, whose role is to provide increased breathability on top of being a stylish touch. Just like the skirt, the Wimbledon tank and 3/4 Sleeve Top have built-in technology for moisture management.
At the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Muguruza sported a white outfit with red pops of color.
PREVIOUS FASHION RETROSPECTIONS OF THE STELLA MCCARTNEY CLOTHES
- 2015: All Garbine Muguruza’s Stella styles in the stellar season
- 2015: Caroline Wozniacki’s year in Adidas by Stella McCartney tennis clothes
- 2014: Photo overview of Caroline Wozniacki and Adidas by Stella McCartney throughout 2014: asymmetry, innovative colors and prints, flirty skirts and shorts
- 2013: Dominance of color-blocks, pleats and mesh inserts
- 2012: The colors of Stella for Wozniacki’s 2012 dresses
- 2011: Adidas by Stella McCartney clothes for world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki
- 2010: Caroline Wozniacki’s first year in Adidas by Stella McCartney
- 2009: Caroline Wozniacki’s Adidas Adilibria and Stella McCartney looks
- 2008: All Maria Kirilenko’s Stella McCartney tennis dresses
At the US Open, Muguruza went for an oyster grey marble print in her Adidas Stella Barricade New York Tank and some solid white and flash red contrast in her Adidas Stella Barricade New York Skirt. Both pieces are equipped with Climalite, which wicked away moisture from the Spaniard’s skin.
At the last five tournaments of the season, including the WTA Finals, Muguruza mismatched with a light blue tank and signal green skirt.
Just like Muguruza’s other tanks, this one included a mesh inset at upper back.
Shoes that Garbi wore at Singapore were these black Stella Barricades that are said to bring explosive comfort in a supremely stabile package.
How would you rate Muguruza’s style in 2016? What are your favorite outfits? I love the soft yellow French Open kit, that’s my No.1. My least favorite is the mismatched Singapore ensemble, although its individual pieces are awesome.
MORE 2016 WTA FASHION RETROSPECTIONS:
- Tennis fashion spotlight: Petra Kvitova‘s 2016 with Nike
- Maria Sharapova‘s Nike fashion in the 2016 season cut short by Meldonium doping case
- New tournament, new print: Venus Williams‘ EleVen clothes in 2016
- Ana Ivanovic‘s stylish 2016 with Adidas‘ zebra and geometric prints
- Serena Williams‘ 2016 Nike fashion: mind-blowing crop-tops & cute tiered pleats
- Dominika Cibulkova‘s perfect fits: Lacoste blue and white tennis fashion
- Angelique Kerber‘s rise to No.1 WTA ranking with Adidas
- Agnieszka Radwanska‘s year with Lotto: Dramatic mesh, ruffles, busy prints