Maria Sharapova was the person that inspired me to start my signature Fashion Retrospections way back in 2007, so this year I’m not going to skip the overview including the Russian style icon, even though she played just one tournament in 2016 due to her unfortunate suspension over positive Meldonium test.
The one event we had the pleasure of seeing Sharapova at was January’s Australian Open, where she made the quarterfinals while wearing the Nike Spring Premier Maria Dress. The item is still available at Tennis Warehouse US and Tennis Warehouse Europe, but not in all sizes.
The atomic orange dress nurtures sporty elegance with its inverted pleats, higher cut neckline and mesh racerback.
Additional touches include obsidian navy contrast binding, functional back zipper and perforated insets at underarms.
MARIA SHARAPOVA’S NIKE FASHION THROUGH THE YEARS:
- 2015: Overview of Masha’s season with Nike
- 2014: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike clothes in pictures
- 2013: Masha’s simple, sporty and subtle styles
- 2012: Nike dresses Sharapova wore in her stellar Career Slam and Olympic silver season
- 2011: All the dresses of tennis fashion queen Maria Sharapova
- 2010: The Queen of Tennis Fashion and her Nike designs
- 2009: Masha and Nike throughout the year
- 2008: All Maria Sharapova’s Nike outfits for this season
- 2007: On-court looks of Maria Sharapova in Nike
Even though Masha played no tournaments after the Australian Open, Nike continued to make new releases in their Maria line, like the Nike Summer Premier Maria Dress for the French Open and the Nike Lawn Premier Maria SW19 Dress for Wimbledon.
Luckily, Maria did manage to promote some of her outfits, as she decided to practice for her April 2017 comeback by playing exhibition matches. After almost nine months of inactivity, Sharapova joined the World Team Tennis Smash Hits charity exhibition in October, wearing the Nike Fall Premier Maria Tank and black Nike Fall Maria FLX Premier Short.
At the Puerto Rico exhibition against Olympic gold medalist Monica Puig, Sharapova sported the purple ombre fade version of the Nike Winter Maria Premier Skort and the bright mandarin golfball mesh Nike Winter Premier Court Flex Tank.
Nike has also released some 2017 gear and this new black and green tank bears Sharapova’s name: the Nike Spring Premier Maria Tank. It’s quite likely the Russian will go for this design when she returns to the WTA courts in spring.
MORE 2016 WTA FASHION RETROSPECTIONS:
- New tournament, new print: Venus Williams‘ EleVen clothes in 2016
- Ana Ivanovic‘s stylish 2016 with Adidas‘ zebra and geometric prints
- Serena Williams‘ 2016 Nike fashion: mind-blowing crop-tops & cute tiered pleats
- Dominika Cibulkova‘s perfect fits: Lacoste blue and white tennis fashion
- Angelique Kerber‘s rise to No.1 WTA ranking with Adidas
- Agnieszka Radwanska‘s year with Lotto: Dramatic mesh, ruffles, busy prints