Victoria Azarenka won the 2016 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, beating Serena Williams in a convincing fashion.
Coming out guns blazing, Azarenka swept by the world #1 in straight sets, denying Williams her first Indian Wells title ever since her more than a decade long Indian Wells hiatus.
Azarenka’s win today does not only lift the two-time Grand Slam champion to #8 in the rankings, it also makes the Belarusian the only tennis player to beat Williams in four finals, adding to her wins in Miami, Doha & Cincinnati.
As you probably know, Women’s Tennis Blog was at Indian Wells all the way from qualifying matches and below are all our photos from the exciting fortnight at the tournament:
- Friday: Semifinal action
- Thursday: Azarenka and Pliskova clinch the remaining semifinal berths
- Wednesday: Aga and Serena make the semifinals
- Tuesday: The making of the quarterfinals
- Monday: Third-round wraps up in Indian Wells
- Sunday: Williams, Kvitova and Radwanska move on
- Saturday: Kerber makes early exit
- Friday: Venus Williams’ return
- Thursday: Ivanovic, Williams, Petkovic, Kerber, Bouchard, Goerges, Robson, Kvitova, and others
- Wednesday: Main draw matches kick off
- Tuesday: Qualifying action