The fourth round of the 2016 BNP Paribas Open completed on Tuesday, setting up four cracking quarterfinal pairings.
Two matches in the round of the last eight will be rematches of the last two WTA Finals in Singapore, as Serena Williams will play Simona Halep and Petra Kvitova will face off with Agnieszka Radwanska.
Halep had the easiest road to the quarterfinals, having played just one set on Tuesday, because her opponent Barbora Strycova retired with an illness halfway through the match. Serena Williams and Agnieszka Radwanska made it through in swift fashion as well, but Petra Kvitova had another three-set battle on her hands.
Playing her third straight three-set match at this tournament, Kvitova squeezed past local hero Nicole Gibbs to make the quarterfinals. Two other players that needed to take the long way home were Karolina Pliskova & Victoria Azarenka, who both punched their ticket to the quarters in three-set matches.
Half of the 2016 BNP Paribas Open quarterfinals are to be played on Wednesday, as Kvitova vs. Radwanska and Halep vs. Williams will provide a thrilling day of tennis in the desert!
OUR PHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS DAYS:
- Monday: Third-round wraps up in Indian Wells
- Sunday: Williams, Kvitova and Radwanska move on
- Saturday: Kerber makes early exit
- Friday: Venus Williams’ return
- Thursday: Ivanovic, Williams, Petkovic, Kerber, Bouchard, Goerges, Robson, Kvitova, and others
- Wednesday: Main draw matches kick off
- Tuesday: Qualifying action