Victoria Azarenka is the winner of the 2016 Brisbane International, ending an injury-ridden title drought that went back all the way to summer 2013. Facing Germany’s Angelique Kerber in the final, Azarenka delivered a flawless performance that only allowed Kerber to hang on in the first set when the match had brief flashes of some of their most legendary encounters that often led to thrilling three-settters.
There was no drama on Saturday, as Kerber was visibly deflated after losing the first set 6-3, allowing Azarenka to close the deal in a dominant fashion and surrender only one more game on her way to the title.
Afterwards, the often unconventional Belarusian had a surprise for the crowd in store, inviting a young fan of hers onto the court to join her during the trophy ceremony. Little Steph from Brisbane had been at Azarenka’s matches before this week and Azarenka not only made sure her little fan would have tickets for the final, but also allowed her to share the spotlight and even hold the winners trophy while Azarenka delivered her winners speech.
Vika’s winning apparel: the Nike Winter Slam Breathe Tank and the Nike Winter Court Short.
Our photographer Jimmie48 was at the Brisbane International during the entire tournament, including qualifying, so make sure to check out his galleries from the days leading up to the final:
- Friday: Brisbane WTA semifinals
- Thursday: Brisbane WTA quarterfinals
- Wednesday: Samantha Crawford, Belinda Bencic, Angelique Kerber, Andrea Petkovic, Varvara Lepchenko, Garbine Muguruza, etc.
- Tuesday: Withdrawals of Sharapova and Halep, Vinci’s victory and more
- Monday: More first-round action (Jankovic, Bencic, Kerber, Stosur, Azarenka, and more)
- Sunday: Spongebob, slime and first-round tennis (Azarenka, Muguruza, Petkovic, Cibulkova, and more)
- Saturday: Qualifying + practice sessions (Azarenka, Muguruza, Bencic, Pavlyuchenkova, and more)
- Friday: Qualifying + practices + draw ceremony (Halep, Sharapova, Hantuchova, and more)
- Thursday: WTA stars getting ready for the new season (Muguruza, Azarenka, Sharapova, Bencic)