Agnieszka Radwanska was a long shot for the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore title and has become the first player to win the event after a losing 1-2 record in the round-robin stage.
Having opened the tournament with losses to Maria Sharapova and Flavia Pennetta in the Red Group, the fifth-seeded Pole earned a spot in the semifinals by virtue of the last-chance win over Simona Halep and some help from Sharapova, then she fought past Garbine Muguruza and pulled off another thrilling victory in the final against Petra Kvitova.
After breezing through the first set of the Singapore final, with breaks in the first and fifth games, Radwanska went 2-0 up in the second set. The 2011 WTA Finals champion Kvitova then went on a roll of her own, winning eight of the next ten games to establish a nice 2-0 lead in the decider. That’s when Radwanska took charge again, battled back for 3-all and continued strongly to take the match 6-2 4-6 6-3 in two hours and five minutes.
Impressively, Radwanska committed just five unforced errors, while Kvitova’s number was 53! Naturally, Radwanska had much less winners, 15, to Kvitova’s 41, but still the differential is incomparable. Am I right, for their differentials to be even, Kvitova would have to had recorded 159 winners?
This is the 17th and biggest title in Aga’s career. And the navy lace Lotto Fall Victoria Dress looks perfect in this festive atmosphere!
Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis claimed the doubles title, extending their winning streak to 22 matches.
The Indian and the Swiss, officially the best doubles team of 2015, defeated Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro in the championship match, 6-0 6-3, but the Spaniards would certainly win the cutest photo of the tournament award.
As you know, our photographer Jimmie48 was in Singapore for the duration of the tournament, so do enjoy all his photo galleries once again:
- Saturday: We have the finalists – Radwanska & Kvitova!
- Friday: Eight is down to final four
- Thursday: The final match of Flavia Pennetta’s career and that famous hug with Maria Sharapova
- Wednesday: Petra Kvitova rebounds, Garbine Muguruza stays strong
- Tuesday: Flavia Pennetta vs. Agnieszka Radwanska and Maria Sharapova vs. Simona Halep
- Monday: Photos from Kerber vs. Kvitova and Muguruza vs. Safarova + WTA legends
- Sunday: Photos from Simona Halep vs. Flavia Pennetta, Maria Sharapova vs. Agnieszka Radwanska, and more
- Saturday: WTA stars meet the press in Singapore
- Friday: Glamorous WTA Finals draw ceremony + player practices + WTA Rising Stars Invitational
And last but not least, if you haven’t already, check out my overview of WTA fashions at the big Singapore event.