In the match-up of two-time Grand Slam champions, who were despite that fact unlikely finalists, Petra Kvitova dominated Svetlana Kuznetsova to win the Mutua Madrid Open title with a 6-1 6-2 victory.
Judging by the period leading up to the Premier Mandatory tournament, neither Kuznetsova nor Kvitova were expected to turn out to be the last women standing in the Spanish capital, as the Czech had distanced herself from the tour for more than a month, as advised by her coach who realized she desperately needed a break, and after her recent return she recorded two match wins in the Fed Cup but lost her opener in Stuttgart, while Kuznetsova’s claycourt season began with a loss in Prague last week.
After becoming the first player to beat Serena Williams in 2015, the fourth-seeded Kvitova recorded 33 winners in just 66 minutes of the final Madrid encounter en route to clinching her 16th career title and second this year. Kuznetsova left disappointed: “I’m sorry the level wasn’t very high, but I promise to come next year and play better.”
As you know, our photographer Jimmie48 photographed the Mutua Madrid Open for a week. While he’s getting ready for Strasbourg, let’s see once again the action leading up to the pinnacle of the tournament in photos:
- FRIDAY – the kick-off day
- SATURDAY – action heats up with Ana Ivanovic, Agnieszka Radwanska, and others
- SUNDAY – Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, Victoria Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Simona Halep open their campaigns in Madrid
- MONDAY – second-round action in photos
- TUESDAY – the round of 16 set in Madrid
- WEDNESDAY – the tournament comes down to the best 8 players