Nike has without a doubt established itself as the leading brand in women's tennis clothing and after reviewing their designs for Eugenie Bouchard and those for Maria Sharapova, the time has come for us to see all the brand's outfits world No.1 Serena Williams wore in 2014, as part of our traditional Fashion Retrospections.
As players generally do, Serena opened the year in the outfit she wore at the end of the previous season, the simple and sporty skirt paired with a dramatic tank featuring big V-neck back highlighted by a thick orange stripe. Let me remind you, Serena won the Brisbane International tournament.
At the Australian Open Serena looked comfortable in her pink and black dress with slimming color-blocking and perforated material on back of skirt. Again there was a V-neck and a deep V on back. The suit for warm-ups added the touch of superiority that the Grand Slam champion deserves.
In Dubai the American was dressed in a magenta skort and a simple long-sleeve shirt, while in doubles with sister Venus she was playing in her pink Australian Open dress. Here you can see my overview of women's tennis fashion at Dubai 2014.
Serena cliched her record seventh Miami title in the green and orange version of her Australian Open dress and to honor her achievement I had compiled a photo gallery of her Miami trophy lifts through the years.
Grey elbow-length sleeve top and a classic black skirt were with Serena during the one and only match she played at Charleston.
PREVIOUS FASHION RETROSPECTIONS OF SERENA WILLIAMS' NIKE CLOTHES
- 2013: All Nike dresses Serena wore during her 78 match wins and 11 trophy lifts
- 2012: Overview of Serena Williams' Nike fashion throughout the year
- 2011: Nike clothes for the champion
- 2010: Serena in colorful Nike
- 2009: A look back at Serena's outfits during the season
- 2008: Dresses for the American tennis hurricane
En route to Madrid quarterfinals and Rome title the top-ranked WTA player wore the grey Nike Women's Summer Novelty Tank with metallic bronze waistband and the black Nike Women's Summer Straight Knit Skort.
Serena was trying to defend her French Open title in the Nike Women's Summer Novelty Knit Dress with unique knit jacquard skirt. Colors of choice: venom green and grey.
At Wimbledon there was the Lawn Novelty Knit Dress, characterized by an open back, knit jacquard skirt and waist-defining band. As usual, there was also a smart Nike suit for the warm-up (don't you love that feature?)!
The US stretch of the season started with a fashion bang as Nike surprised us with these animal prints combined with lively colors. First we had this Nike Fall Graphic Burnout Tank in purple haze (it also exists in fuchsia force), while at the US Open the American wore this bold Nike Fall Serena Dress – pink version for day matches and black and white for the night. This style is definitely not for everyone, but Serena sported it perfectly. It easily won a place in my Memorable Tennis Fashion board on Pinterest.
For the season's finish Nike retained the animal print, but made it much more subtle, as an nonintrusive cheetah on back of the Nike Winter Burnout Tunic in the dusty cactus color.
This recapitulation has allowed me to see that overall this was a good fashion year for Serena, just as good as her tennis year (she won the US Open and the WTA Finals on top of five WTA titles, and not to mention her firm grasp of the No.1 ranking). My favorite outfits are the Brisbane one and the Wuhan/Beijing/Singapore dress, while in the context of Serena, my favorite is the US Open dress. What do you say?
Don't leave now, check out my previous 2014 tennis fashion overviews:
- Photo overview of Caroline Wozniacki and Adidas by Stella McCartney: asymmetry, innovative colors and prints, flirty skirts and shorts
- All Maria Sharapova's 2014 Nike clothes in pictures
- Fila reinvests itself, overview of all Jelena Jankovic's 2014 outfits
- How Venus Williams made her mark on sports fashion with her EleVen brand
- Lotto's breakthrough year 2014 with Agnieszka Radwanska, overview of outfits
- Adidas' few but memorable designs – complete overview of Ana Ivanovic's 2014 tennis dresses
- Nike fashion overview of Eugenie Bouchard's stellar 2014
Moreover, if you prefer classification per Grand Slam, have a look at my 2014 Grand Slam fashion overviews + the WTA Finals:
- All eyes on the Australian Open fashion – a mix of hits, misses and designs that played it safe
- French Open: Adidas by Stella McCartney shines, Lotto dares to miss and hits, EleVen prints success, and more
- When tradition meets modern women's tennis fashion at Wimbledon
- WTA fashion statements at the 2014 US Open – blues, nudes, glamorous blacks, polka dots, animal prints
- Fashion at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals in Singapore – Adidas, Nike, Lotto and the Elite Eight