When Yaroslava Shvedova reached the quarterfinals of the French Open in 2010, she became the first Kazakh, male or female, to go that far at a Grand Slam, and now, two years later, after a devastating period with knee surgery and injuries, the 24-year-old is back in the quarterfinals in Paris by virtue of upsetting defending champion Li Na in the fourth round. So, today is a perfect occasion to feature Shvedova in our popular collection of photos of women’s tennis stars when they were kids.
The above photo is Shvedova’s first match photo, and guess, it was taken in Paris!
At the age of 10 Shvedova won her first tennis trophy and was so happy that she took it to bed like a teddy bear.
Shvedova’s mother Nurziya was a professional runner and world champion in the 100km marathon, so the only way little Slava could keep up with her was by bicycle.
These childhood picture are from Shvedova’s official website, which you should check out for even more nice pics. Thank you, Allen, for telling me about the photos!
Do visit our Childhood Photos series for plenty of young photos and videos of WTA stars. Of the 2012 Roland Garros quarterfinalists you can see:
- Dominika Cibulkova as a short-haired little girl
- Anna Kournikova-like Sam Stosur
- Vintage Sara Errani with adorable blond curls
- Video of a four-year-old Petra Kvitova playing tennis
- Family photos of Maria Sharapova, video of her 2000 juniors final against Peng Shuai, and her video interview when she was just 13.