American 17-year-old Melanie Oudin has suddenly become famous by placing herself as a player the US can count on besides the Williams sisters, although, I have to remind you, she first made headlines at this year’s Wimbledon, having come out of nowhere to reach the fourth round.
As world No.70 Melanie Oudin, the talk of the 2009 US Open, is still a less known player, people have had a few problems with her identity. On the Baseline’s Paula Vergara has made a funny Top 10 list of the comments most overheard at the US Open about Oudin. I love it!
10. She’s French, right?
9. Twin sister? You mean there are two of them?
8. Her boyfriend is cuter than she is.
7. Is that Reese Witherspoon?
6. I say Justine Henin is taller.
5. It’s so weird. She looks American.
4. I heard she writes on her shoes.
3. Who’s that "giant killer?"
2. Oudin speaks English really well.
1. At least she doesn’t grunt.
(photo courtesy of Women Who Serve)